Born and raised in Massachusetts, Shayn followed a logical path to the wine world. Freed by focus, he ascended quickly: Wine Director for Canlis Restaurant in Seattle, Education Director for the Washington State Wine Commission and now Examination Director for the Court of Master Sommeliers-Americas. Along the way, he has been a:
- Frequent speaker at illustrious gastronomic events such as Food and Wine Classic in Aspen,
TexSom, and Pebble Beach Food & Wine.
- Wine Columnist for Seattle Magazine.
- Featured expert in numerous publications like Food and Wine Magazine and Wall Street Journal.
- “Most Trustworthy Sommelier in the United States,” as named by GQ Magazine
- Brief-but- memorable-to- his-loved- ones performer in the well-received documentary SOMM.
Notably, Shayn earned his Master Sommelier Diploma on his first effort in 2005 (garnering the covete Krug Cup, the 10th in the world to have achieved this distinction at that time); in quiet moments, he still wonders how.